Sunday 7 December 2014

WIM: New Travelogue so far!

Traraum is a city that fell prey to a sad emptiness. Built in the hope of being the next utopia for humans it’s been reduced to nothing but a new home for nature.

Originally built with humans in mind its buildings were tall and widely spaced apart however this only proved irritating for those that lived there. The wide gaps between the buildings meant that either cars or public transport was required to get to any other buildings or public places in the city. Anyone who didn’t have access to these methods would struggle to get around the city and couldn’t perform menial tasks such as grocery shopping. The city drained the money of the people meaning they soon fell into poverty and those who couldn’t repay their debts became anxious.

Mental illness grew in the city; people became desperate for a way out of their nightmare. Some turned to crime to increase their income. Ranging from prostitution to daylight robbery, the city gradually fell into chaos as police forces were overpowered and bribed. Those who wanted no part in crime instead took much more brutal ends throwing themselves from the city’s buildings. Distraught, paranoid and wanting to return to their old lives many families, especially the rich, got out of the city while they could.

The population and the money in the city dwindled massively and those that were left began to starve. The city was deemed a failure and unsafe to live in. Those still remaining were asked to evacuate Traraum.  It was decided that the city would be destroyed and a new one with be built in its place.

The wreckage of the city however still remains. New plans are currently being processed but the sickly atmosphere of the city still clouds over the surrounding areas. Taking a trip to the city I was able to confirm this firsthand.

As I arrived in the city a smell of rotting and damp was present in my nostrils. The atmosphere was empty and the deadly silence was only driving its eerie atmosphere. Roads were endless, buildings seemed tall and unreachable and sometimes being there seemed a little too much. I could certainly see why this city was abandoned in the way it was.


After driving around for a bit I decided to try exploring one of the buildings that had been abandoned here. As I approached it I saw a sign labelled with “Besorgnis House, Apartments 1-202”. It was clear a lot of families would have made this building their home and now here it was falling apart and surrounded by debris. As I entered the apartment building a darkness fell upon me, it was pitch black inside. Prepared for this I grabbed a torch from my bag and turned it on. Able now to see the inside I could see a lift directly opposite me though obviously it was no longer operational. I swung the torch around and went in search of some stairs. 

Word Count: 496. 

I'm about halfway through it, hopefully this is starting to convey a much more unpleasant atmosphere in comparison to the last one I wrote. I hoping in the next half after a small feel for the inside of the buildings to convey the feeling of the outside of the city and particularly the key assets of my city.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment